"So much things to say right now. We’ve got so much things to say." Bob Marley
Keeping you up to date with the latest Jamaica Society Leeds news, blogs and guest writers.
CALLING THE OUT OF MANY CHOIR
So you think you can sing? We’re on the hunt for voices for our Out of Many Community Choir.
The Out of Many Choir will be made up of 15 voices. Working with acclaimed singer Paulette Morris and dance pioneer Donald Edwards, the community choir will learn and perform vintage reggae songs and movement for three events as part of our Out of Many Festival celebrating 60 years of Jamaican independence.
ONCE IN A LIFETIME
As well as a joyful outdoor pop up event, at the Road to Trojan show at Leeds Playhouse on August 6th, Out of Many Choir members will have the amazing opportunity to perform with the famed 17-piece Jazz Jamaica All Stars band with singers Brinsley Forde (Aswad), Noel McKoy and Dem Three all on the same stage as reggae icons Freddie McGregor and Dennis Alcapone – truly one in a lifetime!
We’ll also provide Out of Many Choir members with a limited edition t-shirt for performances and with expenses up to £150.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
All levels of singers from all backgrounds are welcome. You must be;
- Aged 18+ to 60+ with a real love for reggae music, great team attitude and community spirit
- Available to perform with the choir on the following dates;
You should also be willing to attend;
- 2-3 hour Saturday rehearsals at our Jamaica House headquarters from 1pm on July 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th
- Dress and tech rehearsals at Leeds Playhouse on August 5th and 6th – times tbc.
INTERESTED? WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
- COMPLETE OUR ONLINE REGISTRATION HERE then get in touch with Choir Director Paulette Morris on email@example.com (feel free to send her a phone video under a minute long of you singing your favourite song) or call 07765 583971
- COME TO OUR RELAXED OPEN AUDITION on Saturday 25th June at 1pm at Jamaica House, 277 Chapeltown Road, Leeds LS7 3HA.
HURRY! WE MUST HEAR FROM YOU BY THURSDAY 23RD JUNE SO WE CAN CONFIRM CHOIR SINGERS ON MONDAY 27TH JUNE.
The Out of Many Festival is made possible thanks to National Lottery Players by;