We’re looking for great listeners and research enthusiasts to volunteer for our Eulogy project celebrating the lives, journeys and heritage of Leeds’ first generation Jamaicans no longer with us.
As a volunteer Eulogy Heritage Ambassador you will help us to
- Carry out community research and oral history interviews.
- Gather the photography and eulogies included in the funeral programmes of first generation Jamaicans who lived in Leeds.
- Research press, the Jamaica Society’s and other archives.
- Develop the Jamaica Heritage Trail - a permanent collection and guide to Leeds Libraries’ publications reflecting the Leeds Jamaican community experience and heritage.
The interviews, funeral programme content and other archival material you unearth will be included in the Eulogy exhibition and book to be launched at Room 700 in Leeds Central Library this August, as well as in learning materials and online. Together they will tell the inspiring story of a whole generation.
Eulogy Heritage Engagement Producer, Joe Williams, an expert in African Caribbean heritage said, “I am looking forward to working with a great team of volunteer ambassadors who will help us to celebrate, preserve and protect the contributions of a generation of Jamaicans who helped to make Leeds the city that it is today.”
Interested? Here’s what, you should know
- Excellent communication skills are essential – great listeners, able to communicate sensitively and respectfully with elders and families reflecting on deceased loved ones.
- You must be comfortable working in a team as well as on your own.
- Keen interest in Jamaican/Caribbean history, heritage and community stories
- Research or gallery and museum experience would be great but not essential.
- Volunteers will receive free training in oral history recording and museum standard collection skills.
- Reasonable out of pocket expenses will be covered.
For more information on how to get involved in Eulogy, please register your interest here and we’ll get in touch with you. To arrange an informal chat, e mail Joe Williams on email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @jamaicasocietyleeds or Twitter @JamaicaLeeds using #JamaicaLeeds #EulogyProject for future collection events and Eulogy project updates.