"So much things to say right now. We’ve got so much things to say." Bob Marley
Keeping you up to date with the latest Jamaica Society Leeds news, blogs and guest writers.
EULOGY – Collecting family keepsakes
Our first Eulogy collection event in March was a truly uplifting day.
Members of the public came along to share precious keepsakes of their loved ones and contribute to our celebration of the lives of that first pioneering generation of Jamaicans in Leeds, who are no longer with us. There was inspirational reminiscing and we collected some wonderful photos and other keepsakes.
How can you get involved?
Do drop in to Jamaica House, 277 Chapeltown Road, Leeds LS7 3HA on Saturday 13th April, anytime between 11:00am and 4:00pm to share the following items connected with your first-generation Jamaican loved ones;
- Their funeral programmes/orders of service.
- Original copies of the photos included in their funeral programme, taken just before or soon after arrival in Leeds. If you don’t have the originals of those in the programme, or you don’t have a funeral programme, we will accept original photos taken around that time.
- A copy of the eulogy read at their funeral. Failing that some basic details about their lives e.g. date and place of birth, when they came to the UK, where they worked etc
- Any other historical keepsakes – e.g. original arrival passports and tickets, photos, uniforms from the early days in Leeds, wedding invitations, event programmes, early letters to/from home etc
What will happen to your keepsakes?
With your written permission, your items will feature across some or all of the following platforms;
- The Eulogy Exhibition at Room 700 in Leeds Central Library from August 1st – September 1st, and mini exhibitions in community locations.
- In print – including the Eulogy book, publicity materials
- Digital platforms – our website, partner archives, social media and in the press.
After the Eulogy project they will be returned to you.
To find out more about Eulogy and how you can contribute, please get in touch or email Eulogy Programme Director Susan Pitter on firstname.lastname@example.org.